Keller is a suburban city in Tarrant County, Texas, in the Dallas?Fort Worth metroplex. According to the 2010 census, the city’s population is 39,627, making Keller the 74th most populated city in Texas. The most recent population estimate, as of Jan. 1, 2018, is 44,940.
In the early 1850s, settlers established Keller and the town became a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway. The settlers settled around the wooded region in Keller because of Keller’s proximity to the Trinity River water supply and abundant farmland. On November 16, 1955, Keller became incorporated.
Keller is mostly residential, featuring more than 300 acres (120 ha) of developed land for 11 park sites and more than 26 miles of hiking and biking trails. The Keller Independent School District has 39 campuses serving more than 34,000 students.
Keller is in the western fringe of the Eastern Cross Timbers in northeast Tarrant County, part of the frontier of the Peters Colony settlers of the 1840s. In the mid 1840s, the area was first settled by a group of families from Missouri that homesteaded near the head-waters of Big Bear Creek. Mount Gilead Baptist Church was established on July 13, 1850. In 1859, the little log church was burned in an Indian raid. It served as the only schoolhouse in that part of the county until about 1910.
Mount Gilead Baptist Church was established in 1850
The area became known as ?Double Springs? for the two large springs approximately ? mile north of Mt. Gilead Baptist Church. In the early 1870s, the Double Springs area had a cotton gin, a grist mill, a blacksmith shop and several stores. In 1896, an artesian well was drilled in Keller; the Double Springs filled with silt over time and eventually were plugged and lost until rediscovery in 1984. Today Samantha Springs produces more than 200,000 gallons of water per day.