Flower Mound is an incorporated town located in Denton and Tarrant counties in the U.S. state of Texas. Located northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth adjacent to Grapevine Lake, the town derives its name from a prominent 12.5-acre (5.1 ha) mound located in the center of town.
After settlers used the site for religious camps during the 1840s, the area around Flower Mound was first permanently inhabited in the 1850s; however, residents did not incorporate until 1961. Although an effort to create a planned community failed in the early 1970s, Flower Mound’s population increased substantially when Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport opened to the south in 1974. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 64,699, reflecting a 28% increase over the 50,702 counted in the 2000 Census.
Flower Mound’s municipal government, operating under a council?manager system, has invested in a public park system highlighted by an extensive network of trails. The town’s public schools comprise part of the Lewisville Independent School District. With its moderately affluent population and proximity to the Dallas?Fort Worth metroplex, Flower Mound has used a smart growth system for urban planning, and has recently experienced more rapid light industrial growth to match the growing needs of the primarily residential community. In 2012, Flower Mound was ranked at #8 as one of the Best Dallas Suburbs according to D Magazine.
Settlement in the area around Flower Mound began when the Presbyterians established a camp in the area in the 1840s. A log cabin, dated around 1850, was discovered preserved within the walls of a home near Liberty Elementary in 2016, providing further proof of settlement. At first, the group held religious camps for two to three weeks at a time. By 1854, residents had established the Flower Mound Presbyterian Church southwest of Lewisville in an area commonly referred to as “Long Prairie”. By 1920, the church had 126 members, and the pine-framed building was expanded in 1937. Early settlers such as Andrew Morriss and David Kirkpatrick are memorialized with street names in the town. The area remained sparsely populated for many decades after its initial settlement.